[MPlayer-users] DVD subtitle problem

Andreas Lange andreas.lange at chemie.uni-regensburg.de
Thu May 16 12:51:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

i have a problem when playing a certain (low resolution) video with
subtitles from a dvd.
The video alone plays fine, but when the subtitles are used, the display
is messed up as soon as they are displayed.

For example -vo x11 produces loads of blue dots spread over the image in
shapes resembling letters,
or -vo xv displays the subtitles on top of the screen with parts of the
text lines that are too long for the screen cut off on the right side
and the rest displayed from the left again, all overlapping and
flickering
up and down.
-vo sdl:x11 looks similar with the picture full of green blocks...

The problem might be that the video is only 352x288 pixels, but the
subtitles are full PAL resolution and when put into the smaller picture
that goes wrong.

I don't really know what resolution the subtitles are, but the letters
displayed with -vo xv are rather large.
I've also tried the windows ati software dvd player: it has its
problems,
too, but shows the video in one quarter of the screen and the
subtitles  on the bottom at a reasonable size.

Xine and ogle just crashed but some other windows software dvd player i
tried played that video fine with subtitles, so I'm wondering if that
dvd
is somehow incorrectly mastered or if that particular combination of
video
and subtitles is so unusual that the problem has not been noticed yet.

I couldn't find anything helpful in the docs or on the mailinglist, so i
suppose it isn't a known problem?
Should I upload a sample of the .vob? (from the beginning to the first
displayed subtitle it's about 14 MB)

Thanks for your help,
Andreas Lange