[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and oggvorbis /ogm

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed May 15 12:25:01 CEST 2002

Hi steffen,

on Wed, 15 May 2002 11:00:43 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Since I've read the list now for a while , I have some questions
>
> Is it right , that Mplayer plays .ogm files? Does mplayer use the OggDS
> filter or is it done bye some own code ? ( interesting because of chaptering
> support and in-stream subtitles)

Yes, it play them. It's our own code, but we still don't have the spec about chaptering
and subtitles. Any technical info would be nice. I asked the author of the DS filter,
but the only awnser I got was : thx for the linux support, but the track selection
don't work.
So if you have some sample with multiple audio track I will be happy to fix it. I'll
reask for some info to add chapetering and subtitles but not now as I'm busy with
the dxr2 output.

> Can I compress audio to other formats than mp3? (aac/oggvorbis?)
Currently no, it's planned but not for this release.

> Are there plans to make it possible to mux to ogm (better a/v synchronity) or
> to integrate some mpeg4ip stuff (muxing to generic mpeg4) stuff?
Same here, planned but not for 0.90.
I know that windoze ppl find ogm really better than avi, mainly because
of the a/v sync issue they have with avi. But there isn't such problem with mplayer
afaik. In fact I don't really liked these ogm. Why ? Vorbis audio is an exception all
time (ie. timestamp, etc must be handled in a different way), there is 2 sort of stream
header because the author decided to change it at some point. I don't know
why because the 2 type contain the same information.
But their is some good points like the timestamps in each page, the subtitles, etc
I just hope that the design for the subtiles and chaptering is better that what
I had to deal with ;)

> I'm interested in that , because oggvorbis/aac does or should in near future
> be able to compress to multichannel output , and create vcd-like cd's with
> mpeg4-compressed video should be possible with ogm or generic mpeg4 streams.
> (MCF-CD project)
>
> Hmmm i could install win to generate some cd's for testin', but maybe
> somebody does this already
>
> And a lot of thanx to the developer team of mplayer, great work !!!!!!!
>
> Greats
>
> ixi

	Albeu