[MPlayer-users] Problems with specific MMS-protocol URLs

Glyn glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Mon May 13 11:24:02 CEST 2002

J. Gareth Williams wrote:
> But invoking mplayer with either the playlist or the mms URL, mplayer
> complains:

> $ mplayer
> MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv
[snip]
> Playing
> MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv
> Connecting to server media.maplemusic.com:80 ...
> Server return 404:Object Not Found

That's the problem - error 404.  The file is no longer on the site.

> Unable to open URL:
> MMS://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv

Yep, the file's gone.  (Though I can see why some of the other output, eg
> Unknown ASF streaming type
> Unknown protocol: MMS
could be confusing.  Maybe these messages shouldn't appear following a
404 error?

If you want to play a file off a streaming mms server more than once, I
recommend you use the -dumpstream option while the file is still
available, then you have a copy on your own machine, to (i) save on
bandwidth, and (ii) keep it once it goes offline

Glyn

glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk

When I talk, you will talk.
When you talk, it will fall back into place.