[MPlayer-users] TIVO simulator

Brian J. Murrell 7ee497a499b8bb5efbf7e46175e9d3a8 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon May 13 02:13:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:16:01PM -0400, Luke Harrison wrote:

> Here's an idea: i don't know the internals of MPlayer too well, but
> would it be possible for a black_screen_detection filter, to have mplayer drop
> a lot of frames,

Not and still work reliably.

> I mean a typcial commercial has a good .5-1 second of black,

Actually, my experience is that that is not true.  I suspect because
the television studios know that this is a remarkably decent method of
commercial detection.  Indeed, I expect one day that there will be no
black frames between commercial segments and the program.

<anti-DMCA-rant>
Or rather, broadcast television will be encrypted (there are already
moves afoot in the US by the television broadcasting interests to have
free-to-air HDTV encrypted) and you will only be able to decrypt it
with approved devices, much like the current state of trying to watch
a DVD.

Devices that are approved to watch broadcast television or record it
will not be able to skip commercials, and any device that is produced
that is not approved will be a DMCA violation and the inventor will be
thrown in jail.

And don't you Euros think the DMCA does not apply to you.  There is a
DMCA coming to a living room near you.  From what I can understand,
similar DMCA-like laws are being floated in the EC.
</anti-DMCA-rant>

> and if the framerate is 30, you'd theoritically only need 1 or 2 frames, right?

Like I said, it will not be reliable.  It is not uncommon for there to
only be 2-5 frames black.

> You'd probably get a few mis-detections if it so happens it hits a black frame or two in the movie, but
> hey it may work, eh?

Not really.  Not mis-detections but non-detections.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell