[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as TIVO

Krister Lagerstrom krister-mplayer at kmlager.com
Fri May 10 16:18:02 CEST 2002

Tod Schmidt wrote:

 > So pausing, skipping forward and back work
> perfectly in the still-being-written nuv file.

Thanks for the tip! I'm working on a project to use MPlayer as one of
the core components in a TiVo-capable linux box (using a TV+remote),
check out http://freevo.sourceforge.net. The software is in beta, but it
is usuable. It can record TV in realtime (320x240 XviD MPEG-4 on
P3/450MHz), but nuppelvideo+mplayer is probably better for timeshifting.

I tested NUVrec (from NVrec) + MPlayer briefly, and it'd be nice to have
MPlayer not exit at the end of the file, instead just reading new data
as the file grows. Is there a switch for that (shame on me, I didn't
read the fine manual :-), or is it being worked on?

> Mplayer is little jumpy for me when
> recording/playing tvinput directly, and of course does
> not do audio (yet).

Is there a problem with some/many/most soundcards that they can't do
full duplex audio? That is, record something on line-in and play back
something else on line-out?

		/ Chris