[MPlayer-users] bitrate ignored with lavcodec

marcogi at libero.it marcogi at libero.it
Thu May 9 17:10:10 CEST 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I get a low bitrate mpeg4 video (about 340-400 Kbit/sec) indipendently
> > bitrate I set. Using vbitrate=700 I got aproxymately same file size and
> > bitrate.
> > I made many tests using various bitrates and even using vhq and/or v4mv
> > options, but problem was still present. From mplayer manual seems that
> > defaults for lavcopts I not specify are ok.
> try -lavcopts vqmin=2
>
> i guess that lavc encodes all frames at quantizer=3 (highest quality for
> vqmin=3) and so it can never reach a higher bitrate, in that case though the
> resulting file should be good quality

I encoded two videos, the first grabbed from Digital Sat the second from tv.
The bitrate goes low only for the first video, much clear then noisy tv one.
With second video the resulting mpeg4 file has exactly the bitrate I set.

Now I launch mencoder with vqmin=2. I'll tell you if it works.

Thanks.

--
Regards,  Marco Gigante
Student at Pisa University - Computer Engineering