[MPlayer-users] mencoder-pre2 still bad playback on quicktime/wmp

Ross Lippert ripper at eskimo.com
Thu May 9 14:52:01 CEST 2002

(this probably isn't a good thread to start, and could be just an
mencoder-newbie problem, so unless it is deemed listworthy, just reply
to me personally)

I don't have a mac or windows so I cannot do this testing myself, but
I had someone check three short files I encoded with mencoder as of
pre2 and he was unable to get video playback on any of the three, but
audio worked.  All of them had an 'error downloading codec' in wmp and
just caused a terrible runtime error on quicktime for windows.

Does this mean that there is a problem with mencoder?  Or does this
mean he didn't try hard enough?

The files are at
http://www.eskimo.com/~ripper/dropbox.html

test3.avi mpeg1video video mpeg3/mono audio
test4.avi mpeg4 video mpeg3/mono audio
test5.avi msmpeg4 video mpeg3/mono audio

If anyone would like to offer suggestions, or attempt to play these back
and give some diagnosis, I'd appreciate it.

-r