[MPlayer-users] Patches for changing indentation accepted?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun May 5 15:05:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> 	Humm, I see. But some files are in a desperate state, needing
> 	a reindentation and better organization.

nope
mplayer is written/maintained by many ppl with different coding style.
as the txt files i pointed describe, they have the right to use their own
style in their own files. even if you dislike that style.

and they will find hard to read their own code if someone (for example, you)
come and reindent all that...

> 	I would like to print the code to study it well (perhaps
> 	documenting it and regarding this as a small-scale "audit" of
> 	some modules that I understand), but not having indentation
> 	makes this task take more time. :-(

then reindent and print
but modify the original file and make patch for the original indenting!

> > > 	2 - are there any coding standards to follow? Are there plans
> > > 	    have one, to increase the maintainability and modularity
> > > 	    of the project as it grows?
> > patches.txt and cvs-howto.txt defines tehse rules
>
> 	But that's too little to call coding standards. I was thinking
> 	along the lines of the Documentation/CodingStyle file of the
> 	Linux kernel or the GNU coding standards.

no, we won't force ppl to use a given well-defined indenting style.
i worked for some company as programmer, had to follow really strict
coding style defs, and i really ahte it as it was different than my one,
and as i used to use my own style, 60% of my time was spent by verifying
and fixing indenting to comply with their std... it simply sucks.

> > > 	3 - regarding quality assurance (and also connected with
> > > 	    question 1), is there any standard test suite used to make
> > > 	    sure mplayer works correctly with (at least) a know set of
> > > 	    files?
> >
> > yes, at ftp.mplayerhq.gy samples/
ftp.mplayerhq.hu

> 	Thanks. How frequently is MPlayer run against those files? Are

yes after such changes i run it on soem files, depending on the change

> 	there any formalized testing procedure that is used (like in,
> 	say,

no

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team