[MPlayer-users] Visible tearing during high-motion scenes (was Poor DVD performance)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun May 5 02:18:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> >> the docs and the web and haven't found a definitive answer.
>
> > I had exactly the same problem...If you have a rage128 video card it is
> > probably the X-Window drivers in 4.2.  I fixed the tearing by returning
> > to my beloved 4.1.0.  Try downgrading and see if it goes away.
>
> I'm using an nVidia GeForce2MX in this machine. I had the same issue with
> previous versions of the drivers and X 4.1.0, so I guess I'm stuck with it
> unless someone else has any ideas.

it is one of the design issues of the Xv architecture...
there is no std wahy to set V-sync with Xv API.
some drivers - like GATOS - workaround this by defining custom option,
so you can view/set with xvinfo/xvset? XV_DOUBLE_BUFFERING or similar thing
i don't have my ati mach64 by hand...

check, maybe nvidia also provides such function, anyway i doubt they do...
matrox users use mga/xmga, ati users use vidix, so they aren't limited by
xv's problems...

ah, and you should also use teh -double mplayer option, with single
buffering V-sync has no any effect

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team