[MPlayer-users] Poor DVD performance

Paul Eggleton paul at softec.co.nz
Sat May 4 18:31:02 CEST 2002

> is dma unmask_irq etc. enabled  for your dvd drive?

Argh! I can't believe it - I could have sworn dma was on last time I
checked, but now I find it's turned off!

I was about to apologise for wasting everyone's time, however turning dma on
did not actually fix the problem entirely. Performance has of course
improved substantially, and a slight improvement resulted from -cache 20000
as well. sdl output is fine unless you add -fs. gl2 works very well even
with -fs and doesn't seem to fall out of sync at all. However, xv still
starts to fall out of sync immediately, and dxr3 output is still really
jerky and slow after about 10 seconds. These results were with -ao null.

Also, with all the output types I did notice a fair bit of tearing on
high-movement scenes. Can this be fixed? I have searched the mailing lists,
the docs and the web and haven't found a definitive answer.

It may be interesting to note that xine performs almost perfectly on this
machine with xv output (apart from some visibile interlacing on some parts
of the DVD) now that I have re-enabled dma, so there is unlikely to be
anything wrong with the hardware.

Thanks,
Paul