[MPlayer-users] Difficulties and quality problem with Windows Media

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat May 4 01:58:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> For a start, it would be nice to have a local copy of the clip, so I
> tried mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy, but it hasn't reproduced it
> faithfully. If I try to play it in MPlayer the sound disappears after a
> couple of seconds, and Windows Media Player complains it can't find the
> specified file - but Explorer can make a thumbnail from the first frame
> OK. Weird. Would it be possible to have a simple option to just create
> a working offline file from an online stream?

-dumpstream

> I tried using vsound on the original stream, but it failed. Vsound
> preloads a library which intercepts open on /dev/dsp and saves the data
> sent to it to a file; AFAICT from its debugging messages, mplayer wasn't
> opening /dev/dsp. I do use OSS, not ALSA.

-ao pcm

> Although mplayer can't play the sound and video together in the file I
> saved earlier, it does still seem to be possible to extract the sound
> separately. I used mencoder -oac pcm, then mplayer -dumpaudio on the
> result, and by noting down what mplayer said about the audio stream, I
> managed to get it to play properly with sox. mplayer did claim to have
> dumped core when it got to the end of the file though. An option to give
with a smiley...
have you ever seen the kernel printing :) after core dumped?
maybe we should remove that joke, you are not the first one...

> the data a wav header (eg -oac wav) would be very useful.
-ao pcm

> Finally, when playing what video there is from the original clip, which
> isn't very good quality anyway, I thought it looked much, much worse in
> mplayer than in Windows Media Player. Are some output drivers much
try to select another stream - maybe (as usual) the stream has the same
video at various bitrates, from very low to very high

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team