[MPlayer-users] A xvidix issue and a question

John L. Clark jlc6 at po.cwru.edu
Thu May 2 01:08:02 CEST 2002

Guys,

In general, xvidix is working quite well - I'm thrilled to have hardware
acceleration.  However, there's an issue that I thought I should report.
When using mplayer with vo=xdivix, the first movie I watch works
correctly, but when I open a second movie, mplayer goes to the null
driver and I see nothing.  I've attached the output from `mplayer -v`.
This is CVS as of yesterday, configured with `./configure
--disable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-gui`.  I've attached my hardware
configuration in previous emails, so it's now just listed on the web[1].
If anyone wants it in an email, I can easily send it.  Just wanted to
cut down on email size as much as possible.

Second, I wanted to be able to use xvidix under a normal user account,
so I made the mplayer binary suid (chmod a+s mplayer), but I get the
following error when trying to play a movie afterwards:

	[genfb] probe
	Error occured durint open: Permission denied
	Rage128_vid: Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	[mga] probe
	[mga] Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	Radeon_vid: Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	[nvidia] probe
	Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	[mach64] Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	[mga] probe
	[mga] Error occured during pci scan: Operation not permitted
	vosub_vidix: Couldn't find working VIDIX driver
	Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device!

If you want the full error output, I can send that, too, but this seemed
to be the key section.  The docs say that this should work.  I'm also
curious to know how big of a security risk this might be, and any
suggestions you might have for minimizing such risk.

Take care,

	John L. Clark

[1] - http://djinn.dnsalias.net/devel/MPlayer/hardware