[MPlayer-users] Re: [xine-user] xine vs. mplayer

Matthew Beale mixonic at synitech.com
Wed May 1 16:01:01 CEST 2002

Although mplayer can be harder to install (although it will be easier
now that the runtime cpu detect is in place, ie rpms can be made) i
would argue that it is superior in stability and format compatability.
i have had it play several files xine failed on, and its lack of gui is
often a good decision, esp when dealing with older machines you want to
get the most out of.

IMHO, xine is a much easier player to install and use, and it is what
makes up my day to day video watching.  however, mplayers extended
capabilities and qualities are advantagus at a few times in my week, and
it is nice to have such a mature player around.

btw- i'm glad xine and mplayer use ffmpeg code, that stuff is amazing
:).

thanks to both teams.

mixonic
-xine list troll since 2001