[MPlayer-users] [BUG] playback speed error in MPlayer-0.90pre2 due to libmpdvdkit

George Hawkins george_hawkins at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 02:32:02 CEST 2002

On April 10th I downloaded the latest CVS snapshot, MPlayer-20020410, and
got it working without a problem.

Over the next few weeks I compiled up various optional packages that
MPlayer can work with such as Lame.

Having got all these working I downloaded MPlayer-0.90pre2 and compiled
it up without problem but when I tried to view a DVD, that I'd
previously viewed without problem with MPlayer, but this time it zapped
through at super high speed (a 3 hour movie in less than a minute).

I still had my old MPlayer binary from April 10th - I tried it again and
it still worked perfectly.

Looking at the startup output of the old and the new version I noticed
the initial key cracking process was different.

Looking at the source directories of the old and new version I saw that
libmpdvdkit had been added in the new version so on a hunch I:

1. renamed the libmpdvdkit directory to libmpdvdkit.bak.

2. ran configure again so that it would pick up the libraries already
   installed on my system rather than use libmpdvdkit. That is:

   a. I have libdvdread-0.9.2,
   b. I have the Ogle patched version of libdvdcss-0.0.3 and the
      Videolan libdvdcss-1.1.1 version installed (they seem to coexist
      without problem).

3. ran make again.

And sure enough this solved the problem.

I've included extensive information about my environment in the attached
file 'environment.txt'. Basically it's Red Hat Linux release 7.2, I've
installed ALSA and I'm using NVidia's latest driver for my TNT card. I'm
using gcc 3.04 (I know there were problems with the latter 2.9X releases
and the earlier 3.0X releases but I think 3.04 is back on track - I've
successfully recompiled a kernel on another box with it which has worked
without problem).

I've also included a file 'typescript' which shows the output of
configure, make and then the output of mplayer - it blasts through a
complete DVD in less than a minute - I don't terminate the playing
prematurely - the output you see is for the entire movie. Then following
this, I do what I describe above, i.e. rename the libmpdvdkit directory
and go through the same sequence of configure, make and then running
mplayer. This time it works without problem and the output you see from
it is for the first few seconds of the movie after which I terminated
the player happy that it was working properly.

The 'typescript' file is quite long but you can navigate by searching
forward for my prompt '[guest at petya MPlayer-0.90pre2]$'.

While I'm a competent developer I don't know the MPlayer source code so
it'd probably take me a very long time to get much further than what
I've done, i.e. confirm that the problem is in libmpdvdkit. If you want
me to run any additional tests please ask (I'm not currently subscribed
to the mplayer list so e-mail me directly).

Yours,

George.