[MPlayer-users] [bug report ?] mplayer trying to find DVD audio in an AVI

Jean-Louis Debert JLD at rsd-intl.com
Thu Mar 28 08:08:02 CET 2002

Hi,

Since my first language is french I set in mplayer's config file
the option:  alang = fr   ,so that I can hear the audio track
in my language if it exists on the DVD.
Well, this works fine ... for DVD's. Now if I try to play
an AVI file (well, DIVX with MP3 audio), mplayer crashes
with the message:

mplayer interrupted by signal 11 in function: dvd -> lang -> ID

If I remove (comment out) the alang=fr in the config file, no crash,
mplayer correctly recognizes and decodes the audio track on the AVI.
DVD still works, only I now have to specify -alang fr if the first
audio track is not french on the DVD.

I don't (yet) have gdb post-mortem (knowing myself, it will take time :-)
but this raises some questions:

1. why should mplayer use DVD functions when the input is not specifically
told to be DVD (via the -dvd command line option) ?  Is it because of
the possibility that files might have DVD-type data streams ? (in that
case, I guess that you would need the gdb analysis).

2. even if 1. is true, why does it process correctly when the alang option
is _not_ specified at all ?