[MPlayer-users] mencoder and large avi files

Scott T. Bowden bowden at implausible.net
Mon Mar 25 00:35:02 CET 2002

I've been working on a sort of homebrewed tivo for a while, and I recently
decided to use mencoder in order to encode the video that I capture into
divx4. The system this is on is not fast enough to do divx in realtime,
and so initially, the video is encoded on the fly into avi, and then
reencoded into divx4 afterwards. It isn't a perfect setup, but it does
work for what I want.

Unfortunately, I've been having problems with mencoder not being able to
recognize large AVI files. Is this a limitation of the AVI format, or is
this a self-imposed limitation of mencoder? More importantly, what can I
do about it? Is there a way to work around this? Or is there another
format recognized by mencoder that isn't limited to 2GB files? I'm not
going to be able to do on the fly encoding that is going to pump out files
smaller than around 1.5 GB/hr, so reducing the filesize isn't much of an
option.

Any help is appreciated,

  - Scott T. Bowden