[MPlayer-users] encoding: libavcodec or DivX4?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Mar 15 14:59:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> Hi!
> I just want to know which is the best for encoding, the DIVX4 one or
> using libavcodec with those two pass encodings, etc?

xvid (faster) or divx4, with 2-pass (or 3-pass with audio).

libavcodec is a realtime solution, it's very fast but has very bad quality
at the same bitrate compared to xvid/divx4. it will change in the future (i
hope) but now it's not in production state.

> BTW, this GREAT piece of soft (libavcodec) can decode DivX5 too! So
yes

> cool! I don't know if it can encode too, cause the Divx5 for linux can't
no you can't encodde divx5 under linux yet

> encode (for now). I wonder if this last codec (divx4, which is in
> reality divx5, what a mess!) can encode to divx4, though...
no :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team