[MPlayer-users] NeoMagic driver

Stefan Seyfried seife+mplayer at suse.de
Fri Mar 15 01:28:02 CET 2002

"Stefan Recksiegel" <sr at particle.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Well, the other way around, then:
> Is there anybody who is able to playback DVDs with Xv on a Neomagic
> chipset (preferably av256=nm2200) with 2.5 MB video memory ?
> Since XAAlines does not work, is there any other workaround
> for the 'insufficient resources' problem ?

YES, YES, YES!

I managed to get it working on my Thinkpad 600x

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2360 [MagicMedia 256ZX]

chasey:~ > X -version

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
Module Loader present

It didn't work until i found the trick on the XFree86 Neomagic-mailinglist
http://xfree86.org/pipermail/neomagic/2002-February/000891.html

I cite:
"Please try my patch in "[Neomagic][patch] Reserve memory for Overlay".
 (This patch changes neo.h, neo_driver.c, neo_video.c.)
 And add the following option in Section "Device" in your XF86Config.
     Option "OverlayMem"   "829440"

 829440 = 720x576x2

 Best Regards,
 Shigehiro Nomura"

of course your Card must have enough memory, but since 1024x768x2 are
exactly 1.5MB and you have 2.5MB on your card, you should be fine.

Before i added the option in XF86Config, i also got the "Insufficient
resources" but right now it plays a 704x400 DivX quite fine :-)

good luck!

Stefan
 Stefan Seyfried, seife+mplayer at suse.de, dl1gsn at gmx.de