[MPlayer-users] streaming

René Bartsch rene at bartschnet.de
Sun Mar 10 02:47:01 CET 2002

Hi,
I'm also no good programme (Let's shake hands ...) ;o)

I've tested ffmpeg. libavcodec's quality is very poor and ffserver is broken.
I even didn't get older versions working at acceptable quality.
There is no more development for about 8 or 9 month now, and it will
dive to the nowhere :-(.

But mplayer is great! Grabbing and converting from nearly anything to nearly anything!
(ok, only libavcodec- and divx-out, but they're working on it! :o))

There a only two three I'm missing:

- the IP-based client/server option (mencoder --> RTP --> mplayer)
   (if there would be a RTP-case around mencoder/mplayer you could start one or more
   mencoder-instances for input and one or more mplayer-instances for output and
   they directly could access function-calls of each other

- support for the Convergence DVB-Tuning-API
- ts-filters

With that three features anyone could build a great DVB-settop-box with a simple HTML-GUI .... ;o)
P.S: also working on the network ...

Rene