AW: [MPlayer-users] ati radeon 8500

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Mar 8 21:54:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> >>if u want a flexible and good tv-out solutin witch is already supported by
> >>vidix take the ati...
> >>
> > vidix is designed for ati cards and works well with them
>
> I thought vidix was designed to be a generic, hardware independant
> interface to the BES?

In theory - yes. In practise, Nick made it knowing only the ATI hw and its
requirements, and as soon as we started to port mga_vid to vidix, found
that it's impossible without api changes...

anyway, direct3d was designed to be generic.. but it's really designed
for nvidia chips, at least the 8.x version.

every API has a reference implementation and it's the best for that hw.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team