[MPlayer-users] My responces to comments on my newbie-oriented MPlayer article

Farrell Farahbod upgrdman at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 30 01:33:01 CEST 2002

I decided to start a new thread for this, since many good and iffy points
were made, by many different people.

first off -- THANK YOU ALL! I really really appreciate it.

All right, below are most of the comments, and my decision about them...most
are of the "Good idea, THANKS" variety. :)

1. Add RPM installation instructions.

Well, i'm not too sure about this. What what i often hear in #linuxhelp
(openprojects irc) they seem to be fairly unstable. also, i think mplayer is
a great opportunity to make newbies learn how to compile, and the fact that
mplayer is one of the more involved compiles, i think it's a great way for
them to learn a lot! mplayer was my first compile, and i learned soo, soo,
soo much by doing so...

HOWEVER, i do plan to do a version of my article for RPMs, and a version on
CVS. However these may not come out for a month...or maybe sooner if time
permits.

2. Write a little bit on the codecs.conf file.