[MPlayer-users] I wrote a newbie-oriented article on how to compile/install MPlayer and would greatly appriciate comments

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jun 27 13:21:01 CEST 2002

On Thursday, 27 June 2002, nico wrote:
> just a few ideas:
>
> 1) why don't you add a chapter about RPM installation, using urpmi for
> exemple...using precompiled packages for a newbe is much easy, at least for
> the data files (skins, fonts..).

Feel free to use any material from my RPMs page and question me if you
think something is wrong/unclear.

> 2) I would add some worlds about the codec.conf file: MPlayer uses
> ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf by default, but when it installs only
> /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf is updated. Well, it's not a serious
> problem since MPlayer tells you how to do that in case it doesn't find the
> appropriate codec ;-)

To clarify:
mplayer first tries ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf, which is good, because it allows
users to have their own settings, and if it doesn't find it, *then* it tries
the system-wide config. So it's not the job of the install script or RPM
to take care of users' settings. It's a feature, not a bug. :-)

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>