[MPlayer-users] I wrote a newbie-oriented article on how to compile/install MPlayer and would greatly appriciate comments

Farrell Farahbod upgrdman at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 27 09:25:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 13:25, Haas Wernfried wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:23:09AM -0700, Farrell Farahbod wrote:
> > http://mysite.iptic.com/upgrdman/temp/mplayer/mplayer-article.html
> looks quite nice for a newbie installation-guide, although i did not test
> everything step by step ;)
>
> as you recommend to download pre5 i think it is not necessary to download
> libacvcodec yourself, is it?

Does 0.90pre5 come with libavcodec?

If it does...i didn't realize that...but please do reply and let me
know...i wouldnt want newbies going thre more trouble than necessary :)

> the whole installation is quite long, especially if you have to install quite
> a lot of other things (gcc, lame-lib (which is just necessary for encoding (or
> am i wrong about this)) and the chance that somewhere a compilation error (or
> just a another lib is missing / not found) occurs is not that small, it would
> be good to point out, how to solve these problems (rtfm, ask in the right
> place, read a good book), so that the newbies are quite able to help
> themselves. there are links to some irc-channels and newsgroups, but i am not
> sure if they're happy with being flooded with newby questions ;)
>
> a "which files / directories" can i delete after installing mplayer-section
> would be usefull too. (now type "rm -rf *" ;)
>
> nice thing
> wernfried
>

> > I'm sooo sooo sorry...
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > farrell / upgrdman
> >

> > On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 22:49, Alan Murrell wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi Farrell,

> > > What's the URL??
> > >

> > > =====
> > > --
> > > Alan Murrell <silkbc at yahoo.com>

> > --
> > Farrell Farahbod <upgrdman at mindspring.com>

> --
> -> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
> -> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion
> -> Beutelland: http://bl.mud.at

> RTFM!!!  http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS

Lastly,

THANK YOU

I really appriciate your comments...hopefully more people will coment as
well. :)

thanx,

--
Farrell Farahbod <upgrdman at mindspring.com>