[MPlayer-users] Which default framerate?

GD Lewis gdltek1 at dfnow.com
Wed Jun 26 22:48:02 CEST 2002

Thanks for the response!  See comments below...

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 06:18, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 June 2002 04:21, GD Lewis wrote:
>
> > Is there a more standard rate that I should use like maybe 25 fps?  Or
> > is it pretty much hit and miss?
>
> Most DVD rips seem to come at 23.98fps (not 24fps) (inverse telecined NTSC
> video). Unfortunately there are some less educated people out there who keep
> making 29.97fps (not 30fps) (3:2 pulldown'd film) rips/tv-caps. These work
> but the picture is annoyingly jerky. Your best bet is to look at mplayer
> output for the file, you should find something like
>
> VIDEO:  [DIV3]  624x336  24bpp  23.98 fps  722.6 kbps (88.2 kbyte/s)
>
> where the important part is 23.98fps so you'd need -vfr 4 for this clip. If it
> says 29.97 you'd use -vfr 1 etc.

I have been using the mplayer output to determine what framerate to use,
but your comments have me a bit confused.

If the output is 23.98 fps, wouldn't I use -vfr 1 (24 fps), and if it is
29.97 wouldn't I use option 4 (30 fps)?

I'm not really well versed on the standards, is there some sort of
formula to determine which option is best suited to the indicated
framerate?

Thanks again!

--
Grant D. Lewis

running Redhat Linux 7.3 "Valhalla" kernel 2.4.18-3 on a i686
"Those who define new paradigms for the world are often considered odd
at first"