[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Jun 26 18:41:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > more and more software are using Unicode internall.
> Sure. That's why I asked for UTF-8 support.
>
> > Probably mplayer should use unicode fonts and have a commandline switch
> > telling about subtitles encoding. A'rpi?
> Perhaps it's a good idea. But more important not to use 'character string'-
> oriented code, but either wide characters (faster, but requires its own
> string manipulation routines) or UTF8 (slower, sometimes much slower, but
> all these strncpy, strncat other others will work w/o a problem).

For text subtitles - teh speed difference does not matter - you can't even
measure. thse subs are 30-100kb long for a whole movie - just a few
thousands of lines. And, the current sub parser code converts them to
widechar internally after parsing, afair. (not my code)

> And another question: Arpi, do you mind against GNU gettext usage
> instead of hard-coded strings?
no
there was even some work on gettext support, but no one was interested
enough to do it well... anyway i'm not sure in that we really need it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team