[MPlayer-users] quicktime sorenson codec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Jun 22 23:59:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > There's no cause for too much joy - the included codec is rather old.
> > It can decode most of the older movies but not those encoded with
> > the current Sorensen version (SVQ3).
>
> True. But the question is, how much does v3 differ from v1? Maybe
> someone could do some v3 RE based on v1 source?

afaik, they're now working on svq3 video, and their audio codec.
the svq1 was only a test, if it work at all, and how apple will
react on that.

the real thing is that they are brave enough to release it.
following the discussion at slashdot, and knowing some of apple's
earlier actions, it may be possible that apple will be upset...

anyway their implementation is more like a reference implementation,
with nice, documented c code, but not an usable thing, as it's slow
as hell. we're working on a better implementation, actually a port
of it using the libavcodec codebase (optimized video processing functions)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team