[MPlayer-users] DVD final analysis

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jun 16 18:37:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> On Sunday, 16 June 2002, Brian wrote:
> [snip]
> > but thats not the point, it can play DVD using powerDVD, mplayer can't.
> > WHY!
>
> Perhaps you should ask the powerDVD guys. :-P
> Or donate such board and specs to mplayer developers. That'd probably
> help, too.

no, his time
i know that cpu, at least the 200mhz variant, it runs at the speed of my
oldy 486dx33, has mmx, but no tsc and some other basic feature of p1 cpus
in short: it's a shit, like arm and other embedded things.
it's not designed for software decoding, just to control stuff like hw
decoders, web browsers etc in a settopbox

(i'm designing and programming embedded routers and firewalls in my
commercial job for an ISP - we failed to get that 200mhz thing to do
dnat/masquerading for 2mbit upling - it was just too slow, it stops around
1.7mbit)

if someone is really interested, get teh specs from cyrix, and hand-optimize
all the asm stuff like idct and mc in teh mpeg2 and mp3 decoders.
i doubt that intel/amd mmx pipelining match the cyrix one, so you has to at
least reorder isntructions to fit the single pipe of that cpu

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team