[MPlayer-users] Distribution Poll (was Re: Want Less Attitude?)

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 14 14:10:02 CEST 2002

> * Netscape 6.2.2/3 worked with MPlayer 0.90 using
> Helper mime-type items
> but Mozilla 0.9.9 broke with that, and Mozilla 1.0
> defaults to use Xine,
> while depending on some 0.9.9 function for some
> things.  !@#$%^ Mozilla!
Check your plugger configuration if you have the
plugger package.
You can change every application you want to associate
to a determinate mime type.
I have mplayer,mozilla (tested with rc1,rc2,rc3,1.0)
and xanim.
mozilla launches every video with mplayer I have on
net for the moment.

> * Version-specific RPMs for RedHat and Mandrake
> would be helpful.  There
> are differences between Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2, for
> example (like, my SCSI
> adapter is no longer supported by Mandrake 8.2 --
> I'm using RedHat now).
For video problems with DVD playing, updating from
Redhat 6.x-7.0 to the latest version causes jerky
video.
The guilty is the DMA deactivation for cd-roms in the
new versions of initscripts.
You must also set USE_DMA=1 (if I remember correct)in
/etc/hwconfig/harddiskhdx to reactivate it for the
/dev/hdx device.
Due to a bug in initscripts (aka /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit)
, the global reactivation in etc/hwconfig/harddisks
seems to fail in several cases.