[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

Michael Lampe Michael.Lampe at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jun 13 15:27:01 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:

 > > > Same problem here.
 > > > OSS, Kernel 2.4.18, SB Live! 5.1, NVidia GeForce2MX, Athlon900,
 > > > 0.9pre* and CVS from 10.06.2002
 > > >
 > > > I also had the same problem with some mpg files - MPEG1 and
 > > > MPEG2....
 > >
 > > me too, -200 or -300 ms for every DVD I've tried... doesn't really
 > > bother me - after it's set, it seems to be fine. Other formats don't
 > > seem to have the problem.
 > >
 > > pre5, 2.4.17, kernel OSS drivers, Soundblaster Live 5.1, Athlon 1G,
 > > G400.
 >
 > hmm. i've found that drivers doing double/more buffering, like vidix
 > and mga_vid may delay video by 3-4 frames, so for 25fps video by up to
 > 160 ms

Hmmm, too. I use the xmga output driver for my G400 which says it does
even triple buffering. The other drivers are too slow with my
Celeron433; mplayer drops frames then.

Anyway, if this is the cause of the problem I would call it a
showstopping bug. 160ms is way too much.

 > could you try with -nodouble, if it makes any difference ?
 >
 > (i also have g400, and just playing that hippolit dvd gabu mentioned
 > but cannot see that -300ms desync)

I don't know this hippolit thing. I have done most of my testing with
Pulp Fiction, which has very much dialog scenes, with close ups on the
speakers. And of course one has to select english audio. One cannot
judge A/V sync from a synchronized version.

 > also note, that the frame dropping code allows 100ms + dropped*50ms
 > delay (tiny a-v delay is better than dropper frames, imho)

I strongly object. Dropped frames are only a momentary nuisance, A/V
desync bugs you all the time until the end of the movie.

That said, mplayer does _not_ drop frames for me.

-Michael