[MPlayer-users] Playing proprietary DivX?

Bradley M Alexander storm at tux.org
Wed Jun 12 23:38:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:22:48PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Wed 12 Jun, Bradley M Alexander made the following spurious claims:
>
> > Got a question about playing the old proprietary-format DivX
>
> That Divx is not at all related to the modern DiVX.  It was a "pay per
> view" distribution system where they would give you the disc and you
> would have to pay for a decryption in order to view the content.  They
> went broke a coupla years ago.
>
> No idea if anyone managed to break the crypto but if you're in the
> USA, that would be illegal, right?

It would be an interesting situation, since the company no longer exist.
The other side of the coin is that my friend bought a number of them and
was never able to view them.

I would think this would be something along the lines of orphanware...Of
course, IANAL...Nor do I play one on TV.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |   storm [at] debian.org