[MPlayer-users] Soundcard Survey [was: DVD sound sync]

Michael Lampe Michael.Lampe at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 12 18:25:02 CEST 2002

 > > Same problem here.
 > > OSS, Kernel 2.4.18, SB Live! 5.1, NVidia GeForce2MX, Athlon900,
 > > 0.9pre* and CVS from 10.06.2002
 > >
 > > I also had the same problem with some mpg files - MPEG1 and
 > > MPEG2....
 >
 > what about other file formats? like avi, asf, mov ?

I have only tested this with some divx files. Some are fine, but most of
them also need a negative delay. I didn't mention them because they are
all "3rd party" and they don't seem as trustworthy as DVDs.

 > is the delay constant? random? depends on bitrate? samplerate?

For DVD playback it's really a constant (-200ms). I'd be surprised if
all my DVDs had the same audio bit-/samplerate, but I'll check that later.

For divx it depends on the file. Can't tell you right now if there is a
connection to bit-/samplerate or whatever.

-Michael