[MPlayer-users] DVD on a LAN

Peter Plantagenet plantagenet at music.com
Mon Jun 10 08:04:02 CEST 2002

Hi guys!

I've been trying to get MPlayer to play a DVD that's located on another
computer, called plato. I'm connected to plato through a fast LAN, so there's no
bitrate problem. The problems seems to be that libdvdread isn't able to detect
the dvd. Mplayer still sees it fine, but it runs into the scrambled data.

So the question is, why can't libdvdread see the drive? I've tried having it
mounted and not mounted. The gory details:

The drive is actually located on /dev/hdc, as seen on bootup. In dev, there's a
symlink pointing to /dev/hdc. I tried to define either of these as the default
device for mplayer, but it doesn't see either. So I have to mount the DVD, which
I do on /media/dvd. Now mplayer can read it, but libdvdread doesn't see it.
Comprende?

I'm hoping you guys simply know the answer to this puzzle. If you don't, is the
problem in libdvdread? Any suggestions for what can be done?

I append the relevant screen print below. Incidentally, I've tried to use libcss
0.0.1 for authentication, but mplayer just sits there and doesn't get through.

Cheers,
Plantagenet

Playing DVD title 1
libdvdread: Device inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
libdvdread: Using normal filesystem access.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
There are 9 titles on this DVD.
There are 7 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
DVD successfully opened!
Detected MPEG-PS file format!
Encrypted stream but authentication was not requested by you!!

Get YourName.Music.com- http://www.music.com/myband_main.html
Reserve your .Music.com address and reach thousands of fans!

Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
Hundreds of choices. It's free!
http://www.bigmailbox.com