[MPlayer-users] some ideas of mine

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Jun 9 21:33:01 CEST 2002

On Sunday, 09 June 2002, jbrown105 at speedymail.org wrote:
> I have 4 ideas/complaints to post here.
[snip]
> Second, I think that it is bad that MPlayer won't work/support with the
> gcc
> provided by RedHat, but I have a temporary compromise (which works
> without having to compile anything).

Don't start this again, please.

> This site (http://www.trilithium.com/software/misc/)
> has some very good gcc v3 rpms which should work fine for MPlayer, and
> are easy to install for RedHat users.
[snip]

That's not necessary. Anyone who wants may get gcc3-3.0.4 from RH7.2
updates (although there were some internal compiler errors reported)
or unofficial gcc3-3.1 packages prepared by RH's gcc guy:
ftp://people.redhat.com/jakub/gcc3/3.1-1/ . I've been using both of these
and had almost no problems whatsoever. The only issue I had was that
after upgrading from RH7.2 to 7.3, compiling mplayer with gcc3-3.0.4
generated some strange glibc dependency, so the resulting package
wouldn't install on RH7.2. After rebuilding with gcc3-3.1 it was gone,
so I stayed with 3.1.

> Hopefully the MPlayer web site will endorse this or some similar method
> to ease the friction between the 2 conflicting sides (the ones who hate
> egcs and the RedHat users who don't want to compile gcc).

What do you suggest, exactly?

> Thirdly, and I know this is a remote possibility, I was wondering, is
> there
> any way of using the RealPlayer so libraries to give MPlayer RealPlayer
> G3 support? Not by disassembling to create a clone, but rather to use
> the so libraries themselves (say to get the list of exported functions
> and figure out which function does what, so then one could create a
> codec for MPlayer which would use the RealPlayer libraries to do the
> real decoding). Is this a good idea, or am I missing out on something?

RealVideo G2/v8 support is already in CVS, with audio coming along soon.
Haven't you followed the discussions on -dev-eng? Maybe you should.

> Finally, I was wondering when/if MediaPlayer .asx support will be
> added to MPlayer (assuming that there wasn't a newer version with this
> already released).

asx? It's just XML. It's easy to dig out the real mms: URL, which is
supported by mplayer.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>