[MPlayer-users] MMX-SSE bugs

Dimitris Stasinopoulos dimitris at linea.gr
Sat Jun 8 16:22:01 CEST 2002

On Wed 06 Jun 2002 01:39, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> Please also update binutils it's outdated, too (eg to GNU ld version
> 2.12.90.0.7 20020423 (SuSE)).

Ok, let's sum it up:

- I upgraded my:
	gcc
	glibc
	glibc-devel
	binutils
to those provided by SuSE 7.3, using SuSE's rpms.
These versions are:

binutils-2.11.90.0.29-15
gcc-2.95.3-136
glibc-devel-2.2.4-40
glibc-2.2.4-40

I then recompiled mplayer.
The problems continued.

- I then upgraded the same packages:
	gcc
	glibc
	glibc-devel
	binutils
to those provided by SuSE 8.0, using (again) SuSE's rpms.
These versions are:

binutils-2.11.92.0.10-91
gcc-2.95.3-219
glibc-2.2.5-55
glibc-devel-2.2.5-55

Yes, the problems continued.
SuSE doesn't provide _any_ binutils-2.12.x package, so I got several rpms
from other distributions:

binutils-2.12.90.0.7-1.i386.rpm
binutils-2.12.90.0.7-3.i386.rpm
binutils-2.12.90.0.9-1.i386.rpm
binutils-2.12.90.0.9-1.i686.rpm

The 2.12.90.0.7 packages still didn't fix the problem.

Trying the 2.12.90.0.9 series, I got this lovely little message when running
ld:

reverant at Demos:/home/reverant > ld -v
GNU ld version 2.12.90.0.9 20020526
ld:built in linker script:95: parse error

So, naturally, nothing compiles.

I also got the binutils tarball and compiled from source (2.12 bare). And yes,
the problem continued.

At some point, I tried several different combinations of glibc, gcc and
binutils. Miracously, the problem dissapeared. _But_, that combination (which
I don't remember and can't reproduce anymore) also introduces the "undefined
reference to 'atexit'", a nasty glibc/gcc combo bug which dissallows you
to compile any shared libraries (eg no mp3lame libs!). Needless to say, this
wasn't very acceptable.

Yes I'm stuck.
Yes I'm desperate.
Yes I'll write a nice checque to however
can actually rid me of this nightmare :o)

> And you should runn something like cpuburn,
> to check if your ram and cpu are ok.

No problems encountered - both with burnP6 and with burnMMX...

--
Dimitris Stasinopoulos

I am but a small signature
At the down down of the writing