[MPlayer-users] cvs/frameno/encode

Miklos Bagi Jr. joschy at mailbox.hu
Sat Jun 8 10:27:02 CEST 2002

Hi Corey,

> Did you check the resulting avi file to see if contains the entire
> movie?

frameno seems to be the ok, and if I make pass1 to an avi instead of to
/dev/null it is around 300megs also :(

> Sometimes when I'm doing automated multiple-pass encoding
> overnight the DVD will be dirty and the first pass will die in the
> middle;

Well, the problem is that I'm not doing an automated multipass encoding. I'm
doing it one-by-one with my own pretty hands ;o) It does not stop, finishes
correctly, no error messages at all, but the results...

> then when the second pass comes along, it stops wherever the
> first pass did. Perhaps something similar is happening to you.

I don't think so, I have my movies finished. You can take it the way that
mencoder has a default bitrate (800 as the doc says) wihch it uses to encode
stuff when you DO NOT specify the bitrate you want to use. But my results are
not with bitrate 800, they're kind of "ugly" and seem to be something between
500 and 600 as bitrate.

> Otherwise, the temporal noise filter might be making things different.
> For the sake of experimentation, try encoding without it.

That is a possibility, I'm encoding my stuff without them at this very moment.
I'll let you know about the results.

MBJr.