[MPlayer-users] for Arpi..

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 8 06:36:02 CEST 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 08:31, mdew wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8275-2002May25.html
interesting article, I prefer to use the method were we give each user a phone
call to give him a short instruction of the usage and possibilities of
mplayers. According to the article this greatly improved customer
satisfaction ;)

Of course we could also use other useful ideas from it:
- Create a mplayer quickstart guide with lot's of big picture how you type in
./configure at a bash prompt and so on, really would make things a lot
easier.

- Giving hands on courses on how to use MPlayer, directly from the developers:
get the software for free, learn how to use it, just $99 (or 99€ choose your
poison :)

- Ship quick-start videos with each mplayer package, so the user ... eerm
won't work out X-)

Well seriously, the problem of today's generation hardly beeing able to read
nor concentrate for longer than five minutes, is not something we should work
around, it's a problem of society and that's were it should be conquered.

However, I think a small quick-start guide, like MPlayer's new README is not a
bad thing, as I can understand the philosophy of "hey, why read a big manual,
if it later turns out to be crap". So first get the software running quickly
and then if you like it, take a further look into the documentation to
explore it's possibilities.

I must admit, that personally, I'm a person that tries to use all stuff,
without reading a manual, learning-by-doing. It usually works for me. But if
I find a problem, I can't solve myself i FIRST check the documentation and if
I can't find it there, try again to solve it on myself and if still no go I
try to find help elsewere, eg. at support.
Today's problem is, that most users omit the first step to solving a problem -
RTFM - and want support without bringing up the effort to solve it on their
own at first.

Probably noone will read this, just my 0.02€ ;-)
--
Best Regards,
        Atmos