[MPlayer-users] Smooth DVD Playback And OpenGL

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 8 04:57:01 CEST 2002

Argh, please learn writing shortter mails with less blah, blah. Who is
supposed to read all this?

On Friday 31 May 2002 02:30, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> To play a DVD.  This is all I really want from Linux--my one desire.
> I've looked high and low for a suitable player, and Mplayer certainly
> looks the most appealing to me (I like that it's GUI-independent and can
> run in text mode).  But DVD playback (only DVDs, not AVIs) is a little
> jerky with Mplayer (0.90pre4, built from source), just enough to be
> irritating.  Audio output is fine (oss), but there is a very slight
> pause in the video about every 1/3 second.  This seems to be an Mplayer
> flaw, because I have a fast, up-to-date system, and other DVD players
> work better.  Xine performs best for DVDs--nice and smooth using
> dvd-nav; but Xine is not what it's cracked up to be (it can't even play
> an MP3 on my system without hiccuping every so often), so I would much
> rather use Mplayer.  DVD playback is also better in Ogle, though it's
> not as good as Xine, and let's face it, Ogle's interface is a shoddy
> piece of crud.  (All right, just an opinion. . . .

Don't use GL out on PC, use XVideo. Make sure DMA is on for the DVD (seems to
be the case for you from replies). And enable cache eg. -cache 8192.
Also some versions of libdvdread cause jerky playback with mpkayer, so use
only recommended versions (check the docs).
--
Best Regards,
        Atmos