[MPlayer-users] PostProcess settings suggestions (VHS-captured video)?

emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Fri Jun 7 02:40:02 CEST 2002

I'm attempting to view (well, actually, export to mpeg2enc for re-encoding,
but...) some videos that I've captured from VHS, and intend to generate VCD's
from.

The catch is that as seems to be usual for TV-capture, the picture is full
of a lot of "color noise" that seriously degrades the final result
once encoded to mpeg (i.e. flickering "speckles" of red, green, and blue -
a sort of "transparent, colored snow" effect superimposed on the
otherwise-clear video).

Can anyone suggest a set of mplayer postprocessor settings that might
blend in or reduce (or perhaps "despeckle"?) the "color noise" in
the video?

I'm hoping to get quite a few of my old VHS tapes re-encoded to VCD, so
something like this would be quite helpful...

P.S. Any chance of getting some more detailed postprocessor info into
the FAQ or documentation sometime?  I can offer to assemble a document
for this myself, but I'd still have to pester other people to explain the
options to me...