[MPlayer-users] Dumping DVD subtitles to MPsub format

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jun 7 01:11:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > > Is there a way to convert DVD subtitles (the ones I get using -sid)
> > > into the funky MPsub format?
> > No, dvd subtitles are graphics. It would need some kind of ocr. You must u
> se
> > some other tool to convert the dvd subtitles in any text subtitles format
> know
> > by mplayer. Then you can convert them to MPsub.
> > 	Albeu
> What format graphics are they?  Maybe when I get a chance I can come up with
>  something you can use...

rle-compressed 4-color (using yuv palette) bitmaps

writting an ocr for dvd subs isn't so hard at first look.
as they are computer generated - the chars are pixel-by-pixel identical,
so you have to teach teh ocr only once to each char and then it's go...
problems:
- it needs an interactive gui, for teaching the code to the chars
- many problems appear when you have bold or italic text, so separating
chars from eachother is no more a simple job :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team