[MPlayer-users] Why mp3lame produces doublespeed sound

paul atreides tharkadus at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 5 01:18:01 CEST 2002

Hi all
 I've been experimenting with several movie audio
formats for input to mencoder (0.90pre4) with -oac
mp3lame and these are the results (recording done with
xawtv):

8 bit mono and 16 bit mono (LE) cause mencoder to
crash.
16 bit mono (BE) and 16 bit stereo (BE) produce
doublespeed sound.
Only 16 bit stereo (LE) produces good sound (at least
no crashes or weirdness).

So, in the Big-Endian case, the sound gets doublespeed
when mencoder recodes it to Little-Endian.  Odd that
it crashes with 8 bit mono and 16 bit mono (LE).

Mplayer is able to play all the original files without
problem.
One can use -srate 22050 or so to play the recoded
doublespeed files, but it requires also (at least for
me) playing video at double frame rate (if video is 12
fps one needs mplayer -fps 24) and -delay -1 or so,
which is cumbersome as hell.

Does anybody have some way to correct the double speed
when using mencoder. Or some other tool to change the
audio endianess? Transcode might be it (if swap audio
bytes means changing endianess) but it does not seem
to support quicktime
which is the format I must use for recording.
Any ideas?

BTW, I compiled libmp3lame with no optimizations and
with the "good" compiler,not the "bad" compiler.

Regards,

Camilo Ramos