[MPlayer-users] Documentation hard to find (WAS: Re: PATCH: mplayer is leaking file descriptors)

jasonrc at gomdoli.com jasonrc at gomdoli.com
Tue Jun 4 22:07:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002, Chris Phillips wrote:
> difference with being a "newbie" and "ignorant and dumb".

I'm not so sure the distinction really exists. I'm not saying newbies
are dumb, for they can learn, but certainly they are ignorant. If they
weren't, then they really wouldn't be newbies. Joe Blow, who just
installed red-hat, never using linux before, may not even know about man
pages. He just wants to watch his dvd. Thus he downloads mplayer, maybe
gets lucky and decompresses the thing, but has no clue as to what it
depends on, let alone what a library is. Joe is not stupid, he can
learn, but he is certainly ignorant in terms of linux, just as most
newbies are once they get started.

just my 2 cents, not very relevant

jason