[MPlayer-users] Documentation hard to find (WAS: Re: PATCH: mplayer is leaking file descriptors)

Jarno Elonen elonen at iki.fi
Tue Jun 4 21:36:01 CEST 2002

> Guess what ?
> Fix your bug-report documentation so that this is more apparent.

I agree. Somehow I've got a feeling that there's a bit too much RTFM:ing
around here and the docs - doesn't really make you feel very welcome. And
altough there's plenty of info around, it's currently so scattered that you
have to dig hard to find it.

How about putting a brief link list, something like this, on the front web
page (before the news):

  MPlayer is the hottest/best/most popular media player for Unix.
  And it's open source!

  + _Download_ - get the latest stable version
  + _Features_ - extensive list of Mplayer features
  + Support & discussion
    + _FAQs_ - frequently asked questions on classified topics
    + Beginners: user discussion & support goes on at
      mplayer-dev at mplayerhq.hu [_subscribe_here_]
    + Developers & programmers: development discussion goes on at
      mplayer-dev at mplayerhq.hu [_subscribe_here_]
  + Bug reports - if you find a bug, do the following:
    1) check _already_submitted_bugs_
    2) send to mplayer-users list in _this_format_ or
       use _bug_report_submit_form_.
    3) If you have a patch, see _patch_instructions_.
  + CVS - instructions how to get the sources of the "bleeding edge" version.

And most of all, on the linked pages, be as brief as you can. I can assure you
that the users appreciate it *very* much.

- Jarno