[MPlayer-users] MPlayer Very Jumpy when Playing DVDs - Urgent

Aciel aciel at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 2 23:32:01 CEST 2002

AMD Athlon 1333/266 on Asus A7M266. Red Hat 7.3, Kernel 2.4.18. Toshiba
SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM. 256MB PC2100 RAM, ~500MB swap. MPlayer-0.90pre3,
pre4. GeForce 3 Ti500

I was having a problem with MPlayer-0.90pre3: my DVDs would be slightly
jumpy (only in an annoying way, not in a way that prevented me from
watching them). Video files on the computer would experience absolutely
no jumpiness, oddly enough. It was just DVDs. And the rest of the system
would remain smooth; the mouse would move without jumpiness.

I recently reformatted my hard drive and installed Red Hat 7.3
(previously I'd been using 7.1 with kernel 2.4.16). I used KDE this time
instead of GNOME, since I suspected that GNOME was slowing it down
(incorrectly, apparently). I installed MPlayer-0.90pre4, and tried to
play Harry Potter. For the WB title screen it was fine, and maybe the
first fifteen seconds, but then it started getting jumpy. Really jumpy,
and not in the same way. Now the jumps were much further apart, and the
audio was jumping with the video. In fact, so was the mouse. The whole
system seemed to be jumping. Not very much was open, either. Plus, this
time the jumpiness was so obnoxious as to make the movie unwatchable.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please email me directly (my
email comes from mplayer-users in digest format). I really appreciate
the help.

Thanks ahead of time!

John Woods
aciel at speakeasy.net