[MPlayer-users] mencoder skipping/duplicating and -fps

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Jun 2 22:27:02 CEST 2002

I recently created an AVI from DVD with:
$ mencoder -dvd 1 -aid 129 -oac copy -ovc copy -ofps 23.976 -o save.avi
During the ripping process, a single frame was skipped and a single
frame was duplicated - by my understanding, nothing to worry about.

The output file is about 5GB, and before I forget to say so, I do have
largefile support compiled in. I can play the file just fine with:
$ mplayer save.avi -fps 23.976 -idx
(The video is played at 29.97fps if I don't specify otherwise) I can
seek to all parts of the movie without losing A-V sync.

The problem is that now I want to make a proper lavc encoding and I
can't seem to avoid either skipping or duplicating frames. Here's what
I've tried:
$ mencoder save.avi -fps 23.976 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
...which gives me lots of duplicate frames. Checking test.avi showed it
to be 29.97fps.
$ mencoder save.avi -fps 23.976 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -ofps 23.976
...results in the correct fps but lots of skipped frames.

Apparently, mencoder isn't observing the -fps parameter. Am I doing
something wrong, or should I file a bugreport? This is all with mplayer
CVS from half an hour ago.

mencoder -v output attached.

Thanks,
Corey