[MPlayer-users] Sound and Video Problem

Lethal Weapon lethalwp at linuxbe.org
Sat Jun 1 05:26:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 04:56, Marvin T. Pascual wrote:

> I just installed the latest version of mplayer from source in my
> Mandrake Linux 8.2 machine.  When playing VCDs, I encountered two
> unexpected problems and these are:
>
> 1.) No sound at all.  I'm using Yamaha 6000 4 Channels PCI Sound Card.
> 2.) When I set to fullscreen mode of my video, there is a partition
> below the screen.  In short, it can't produce a whole screen mode.
for 1) does the user has the rights to /dev/dsp ? (ls -la /dev/dsp,
check the rights to read&write), or maybe another daemon is accessing
the soundcard, like esd, and you have no oss channel left, or something?
First check the rights, then try to play with different audio outputs:
mplayer -ao help    to get the list, try oss, sdl, ...?

2) if it is a 4:3 movie, try with -aspect 4:3, or maybe when you are
going fullscreen, the video output mode doesn't support it fully, so you
also can try different outputs:  -vo help to get the list (try xv, sdl,
dga, ...), or maybe with -zoom etc

a last thing: man mplayer
i know it's long to read, but it's clearly worth it, it'll learn you
about many other options ;)

Greetz,
     LtWp