[MPlayer-users] X hangs on Ati Rage128AIW

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz misiek at pld.ORG.PL
Sun Jul 28 23:34:01 CEST 2002

"Tapani L." <kk014932 at kemi.fi> writes:

> For past week when i try to play something with mplayer, mplayer opens
> the video window, black image appears, and everything hanks, except
> mouse. Mouse is movable but its not accepting any clicks. Keyboard is
> not responding anymore and my only chance is to power down my computer.
Do you have DRM (DRI) module loaded into kernel?

> Same thing happens with Xine. Some times xine/mplayer shows firs(?)
> frame and plays very short amount of sound in loop from buffer.
>
> With -vo x11 mplayer works...
Same here.

> Is this know problem or should i make proper bugreport?
IMO it is not a mplayer problem. I and one more guy from PLD has
exactly the same problem. When DRM module is loaded (in my case
DRM from http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/linux-drm-4.2.0-kernelsource.tar.gz
on 2.4.18 kernel compiled using gcc 2.95.4 prerelease) and _any_
program tries to use xv then whole XFree hangs in way that you already
described. For me it happens when I'm using mplayer, avifile, zapping etc.
Note that only XFree hangs (video ,,freezed'' and keyboard not working beside
SysRq) - linux kernel still works properly because I can login via network.

As workaround I'm simply not loading r128.o drm module and then xv works
without any (!) problems but this sucks as I want to have OpenGL hw accel,
too :-(

> Kernel: 2.4.18-3(compiled with option i need)
2.4.18-5 from PLD here.

> X: XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-8) (with ati.2
> binaries from gatos.sourceforge.net)
XFree 4.2.0 (tried both - xfree original and gatos ati drivers, also
treid different DRM sources - unfortunately my xfree still hangs).
Now I'm going to try cvs version of XFree 4.3.0.

> Disp. adapter: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF/SG AGP (aka. AIW)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF
(tv out/composite in, 32 ram, agp).

ps. to someone who is developing ATI R128 driver for XFree project
    - I want to get rid of this problem so if you have any idea
    or fix I shall be glad to test it etc
--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz   IPv6 ready PLD Linux at http://www.pld.org.pl
misiek(at)pld.org.pl   AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PWr