[MPlayer-users] ATI TV-out

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sun Jul 28 18:39:02 CEST 2002

On 28 Jul 2002 18:40:32 +0300
Alex Shnitman <alexsh at hectic.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about ATI TV-out. Is it possible to configure its
> timings directly via XFree86 and get a full-screen 720x576 output on the
> TV? Some chipsets do all the timings in the BIOS, and the resulting
> image on the TV is displayed with thick black borders. Is it possible to
> overcome with an ATI card, or to be more specific, the Rage LT Pro PCI
> version?
>
> Thanks!

I have the same problem with an ATI card, too. To be more specific, its a
Radeon Mobile chip ;-)
Well, the problem is that ATI has never released the TV-Out specs of their
cards. I guess they would like to as they did it with their other specs.
But the problem is that Hollywood would send out their lawyers, because
you could rewrite the TV-Out program/driver to remove any macrovision
enabling code and so record a dvd onto a vhs casette (though you have
the right to, but this is not about fairness).

If those legal issues are settled you could get the specs but it seems
to me as if this will never happen

Clemens Wächter