[MPlayer-users] es1371 and hwac3

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Sat Jul 27 12:32:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

I have an on board soundcard CT5880 which is identical with the ES1371
chip (Alsa: ENS1371). I use Alsa 0.9pre2 and enabled digital out. The
digital out is working, I can hear sound from mplayer and other
appications through the digital out. What is not working is the -hwac3
option. When I activate this, I only get noice. This sounds like my
digital receiver can't decode the audio.

| mplayer -ao alsa9 -ac hwac3 ...
| alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
| alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels, AC3
| alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: hw:0,0
| ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:791:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p failed: No such file or directory
| open: No such file or directory
| alsa9: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/16384 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian

Yes, I have no /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p, so I changed the device to hw:0,1

| ./mplayer -ac hwac3 -ao alsa9:hw:0,1 ...
| AO: [alsa9] 48000Hz 2ch AC3
| alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
| alsa-init: requested format: 48000 Hz, 2 channels, AC3
| alsa-init: soundcard set to hw:0,1
| device: 1, subdevice: 0
| hw:0
| alsa-spdif-init: cant set spdif-trough automatically

If mplayer can't enable spdif-trough automatically, how can I enable
it manually?

I start to think that my soundcard can't do spdif-trough at all. It
would be great if someone can point me to my problem, ever greater if
someone with the same chip has spdif-trough working.

If it's not possible with my soundcard, I'm thinking of buying a new
card. If you have spdif-trough working, please send me a mail what
soundcard you have (DON'T send this to the list, this would be too
much traffic. I will make a summary of all working cards and then this
could be added to the docs).

Thanks

Dirk
--
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)