[MPlayer-users] mplayer, cvs and make

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jul 25 19:54:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> I usually run 'cvs update -APd' to be sure I'm up to date when
> compiling MPlayer.
> There is, I think a problem :
>
> when mplayer is completely compiled and that you do a cvs update,
> then issue 'make', nothing should recompile when no source file is
> modified.

right

> This isn't the case. issue 'make' after a cvs update will 'make'
> recompile all the dependencies and then the rest of the project even
> when no file is modified.
>
> Is this a problem in make or in the mplayer repository ?

it's a feature - makefile checks for change in CVS dir, and if any
of the files changed it does distclean,dep,make.

yes, it should recompile changed files only, but as no cross-dependency
info between libs, it doesn't work, so it recompiles everything to be
sure. it's better for users...

if you don't like it, there is a hidden cheat to disable this behaviour,
but you must know what are you doing if you enable the 'developer mode'
as it won't recompile libs automagically even if they changed!

anyway, if you do cvs up -d, and nothing changed, make won't recompile.
dunno about -AP options, maybe they do some unneeded change?

anyway there are changes every hour, so i doubt you can do cvs up without
having some changed files...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team