[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and DVB subtitles

Tomas Morkus tmorkus at intac.cz
Wed Jul 24 14:23:01 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm using through Siemens DVB card to play MPEG2 movies (not DivX or
MPEG4). Everything works OK when I don't use the "expand" function, but
I need this for playing subtitles. When I play movie with subtitles, the
picture freezes time-by-time and also sound is terrible distorted. I
tried to experiment with "lavc=2" (or 3) and also "fame" instead of
"lavc" and this almost solved the problem, but there is a loss of
quality. I use following command to play movie e.g.:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vop fame,expand=-1:-1:-1:-1:1 -osdlevel
0 -subpos 87 -subdelay 0.5 -ffactor 0 -sub cz.sub movie.mpg

That gives me better quality (better than with lavc=2), but the subtitle
jitters a little and picture is not as sharp as without using expand
function.

There is also in the DVB quick documentation written:
- display OSD and subtitles using the OSD feature of DVB cards

That would solve all my problems with subtitles, so I'd like to ask, if
anybody is trying to get this function to work. Please, is this function
really in development ?

Thanks,

Tomas Morkus.